Saturday, August 05, 2006

Should we talk in?

Culturally Sensitive Banking was the title of a previous post that I ranted on about having to choose between English or Spanish before proceeding to enter my pin number and use the ATMs. Rather than eliminate this nusance my bank, Washington Mutual, now has added two more choices. Yippee, if only I knew what those charicters on the bottom mean, I've seen them on pokemon cards but I have no idea what it says. What really has me curious, is WAMU's policy embrases what it calls Diversity and Inclusion, and markets bilingually. What they don't provide is bank statements printed in Spanish or Russian, so while they advertise in a native tounge, good luck reading your account statement once they have your money. And as I mentioned in the prior post, if they would just ask me my preferred language and had that as part of my account information, they could just display my language when I stick my card in the slot. Isn't that what technology is supposed to do? I already know the reason why they don't include this. It would appear to be an intrusion of privacy, and might hint of racial tracking, they could get sued by the ACLU for having a database of what languages thier customers speak. When I visit a website, it might ask me to if I would like it to recall certain preferences like my zip code, couldn't the ATM just ask me once, and recall my choice the next time. Posted by Picasa

No comments: