Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Pat McGee & Ernie Halter

Last night I went to a concert in Portland with my friend McKay. It was a random chance that I noticed Pat McGee was playing so I purchased tickets online, and was lucky to be in town the night of the show. I hadn't seen him play live in years, the first time I was more impressed by his music than the headline performance of Sister Hazel and started collecting his music, listening to it regularly. Saturday I decided to get the details on the show, when it started, and how to get there. I did not recognize the guest opening act, so I found his MySpace page, and immediately became a fan of Ernie Halter. The acoustic set was so intimate and personal it will go on my list of best ever entertainment experiences in my life. Sadly the show was barely booked up, and we sat 2nd row but this was in our benefit because we could converse with these artists, discuss our requests, and it was like listening to a good friend play guitar in your living room. Pat McGee finished his set, and then graciously came out for an encore where he unplugged and sat at the edge of the stage and just 'hung out' with us. It was more than words can describe how down to earth and personable both of these performers were. I shook Pat's hand after his encore and sincerely thanked him for what was the most memorable musical performance I had ever witnessed.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

McKay said...

Perfectly stated! That is exactly how I felt too.

deidre said...

I LOVE moments like that! You don't get them very often, but they are the best times! Thanks for sharing!