Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Best Buy Boneheads

Being the gadget junkie I am, you will find me visiting most of the local electronic stores when I get the chance. The majority of the time, I do reasearch online, and I know just what I want, where to find it, and how much it costs. Today was no different. What I was looking for was in stock at Best Buy, and I walked right in the door, and right to it, plucking it from the shelf. I nearly walked right to the register when some other gadgets caught my attention. Without going into detail, I was puzzeled as to the price difference of several similar items, and figured the lower priced ones were older and not compatable with newer devices. Just then an associate decided to step in, "Can I help you?" he asks. With his invitation, I proceeded to ask my question to see if my conclusion was correct. He hesitates, looks at what I was reading, and proceeds to come up with the most confusing non-explanation I was supposed to accept as fact. My mind still boggled by this, I proceed to ask for an accessory power supply for my item (something a good saleperson would have already tried to link sell me) and he brings me to Laptop power supplies over $100... Now I am irritated, and I explain.. No I already have a power supply for my laptop, I am looking for one that will work on "THIS"... "I guess we don't carry those.. "(Ok, this guy didin't even leave the isle!) Now I decide that I might find what I am looking for in another deparment, so I walk over to personal electronics, and the "gamer" sales guy asks to help. Since we are near the PlayStation stuff, I decided to ask him for something else I had researched online, and had yet to see in stock at any local stores, a 12 volt car adaptor for a playstation. (Yes they make them) Rather than (A) explain they don't carry them (B) admit he doesn't know (C) try to locate one at another store or tell me who might help me, he goes with (D) tell me to buy another overpriced item that is not something I need to make it work "Use an Inverter" Now I could go into why this is stupid, but I will spare you further ranting. Why I hadn't left yet I don't know, other than amusement, I proceeded to car audio to see who else could amaze me with superb customer service. No surprise there. The car audio department had some cool stuff to hook up satilite radio to your car sterio without replacing your factory stereo. I asked if this would work with my Laptop and Ipod like the $50 FM transmitter I already purchased. I was puzzeled when he asked what make of car I had, because I thought all cars had FM radios. So I told him I had a Suzuki, and he said, no our Ipod adaptors won't work in a Suzuki.. and showed me a $200 item to control and hook the Ipod up to a car system, but not my car... So I asked again, how would that $200 item let me listen to my laptop over the raidio. "Oh no, it won't do that it just works with the Ipod." So you don't carry just FM transmitters? "I don't know, let me ask.." ARRRGGG!!!

No comments: