Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Taxed

Got your taxes done? Mine have been complete for a while thanks to turbo-tax and one thing that gets my attention every year is the older I get, the more I pay. Not only does my federal tax liablity seem to ever so slowly grow, we have state income taxes as well that take a bite out of my livelyhood. Oregon has an income tax rate up to 9%, making us the 3rd the highest in the nation, next to CA, & DC. Then you think of all the other types of taxes and government fees we pay, and it is highly evident how out of control things have become. In Oregon we pay through the nose property tax, 28th in the nation on a collection per capita comparison, and although we don't have a sales tax (YET) that was the hot topic in the gubernatorial debates. Oregon imposed an income tax to provide for property tax relief, and now they propose a sales tax to provide income tax relief! Oregon charges $0.24/Gallon gas & diesel tax on top of the federal 18.4 cents, only 10 states charge a higher gas tax, and today's news report was touting an idea for an employee tax for businesses to pay on a per employee basis for road improvements. I am going to have to ask for a raise so I can afford to pay my taxes and pay for the gas to get to work, of course that will likely put me in a higher bracket! Here's my soluton: A forign exchange program for American workers, we exchange places with Mexicans and they can work our jobs and pay our taxes, while we move to Mexico and try to cross back and avoid them.

3 comments:

Jon said...

You complain about taxes? mr always have a flock of kids to claim.

you should run for office. you have all the answers.

WBbenny said...

Great point bro! What I can't figure out is why single, kid-less, apartment renting liberals support tax raising democrats? Reason... Liberalism is a mental disorder!

Jon said...

the single kid-less, apartment renting liberals support tax raising democrats because they understand in order to have certain things they have to be paid for somehow. republicans just figure they will just write the checks and worry about paying for them later.