Monday, January 30, 2006

Culturally Sensitive Banking

I hate using cash. Call me a germaphobe, but I used to cook at a bar where we had male strippers for ladies night, so any bill smaller than a $20 I consider a biohazard. Regardless, on occasion I need to swing by an ATM to make a withdrawal as to avoid outing my spending habits via the online banking system (AKA my wife).
What gets my goat is the audacity of the bank to request my language of choice every time I visit. If the bank knows my FICA score, checking & savings balances, spending habits, and my mother's maiden name, why don't they know what language I speak? In todays information age, how did this little triva item slip by? If you ask anyone who knows me to recite the last 4 digits of my social security number, I am sure they would draw blank, but they sure know I don't speak a word of Spanish!

No comments: